There's no doubt that COVID-19 has had a significant impact on small businesses. But contrary to what you may think, now can actually be the perfect time to start a new business. Armed with the right tools, you can start down the path from business idea to successful startup. Follow our 16-week series to gain all the insights you need to Start a New Business Now.
Here’s a sneak peek at what you’ll learn in Chapter 14.
Read Chapter 14 to learn why security is paramount in today’s business world. How you can take measures now to secure your business and minimize the risk of security issues? This chapter will cover:
The coronavirus crisis and the work-from-home movement have put a spotlight on digital security. When employees work remotely, businesses lose control over the networks and software they use. That leaves sensitive data subject to vulnerabilities on unsecured home networks and computers. Here are some steps you can take to keep your systems secure.
1. Employ a VPN, SaaS or cloud software. Virtual Private Networks (VPNs), SaaS and cloud software are secure platforms that remotely host your applications, data, documents and other resources.
2. Require device and network security. Implement device and network security measures designed to thwart hackers and data breaches.
3. Use secure document services. Secure document services also allow employees and customers to virtually sign legally binding documents, then transmit and store them securely.
4. Create access rules. No matter how you secure your systems, it’s a good idea to create access rules so employees only have permission to access the documents and functions they need to perform their jobs.
5. Issue company devices. If your company deals with highly sensitive data, you should consider issuing company devices that come preloaded with security features.
6. Educate employees and monitor behavior. Teach them about the risks and show them how to not only protect your company’s data, but also their own.
Protecting your financial accounts is just as important as cybersecurity – and they go hand in hand, since many of today’s financial threats come in the form of cyberattacks. Here’s how to secure your financial accounts and minimize your risk.
Secure payment processing
You need to accept credit cards and debit cards in today’s business world, but hackers can exploit vulnerabilities in both online and offline environments. Make sure you partner with a payment processing company that meets the strictest security and compliance standards: PCI, HIPAA, SSAE 16 and SOC 2.
High Security checks
Attempted check fraud has increased by 43%, which means thieves are targeting paper checks as gateways to steal from small businesses. Whether you’re paying vendor bills or issuing payroll, High Security checks can help your business prevent check fraud.
Choose a secure bank
Your money flows through your bank, so it’s critical to choose a financial institution that has invested in small business security to protect its customers from identity theft.
Security is essential for every business. If you don’t know where to start, read tips and invest on how you can help you secure your systems both digitally and financially. Learn everything you need to know about securing your business and minimizing risks in Chapter 14 of How to Start a Business Now.
Toolkit: Coronavirus (COVID-19)
Stay up-to-date on ways to advance your business during the outbreak.
Subscribe to the Toolkit
Get tips to keep you, your employees and your business going
Keep your business moving forward
Blog Small Business
There’s never been a better time to start a business. COVID-19 has created opportunities in new markets and the eBook How to Start a Business Now, guides you through all the steps necessary to ensure your businesses success.
Blog Small Business
Drop shipping helps your business save time and gets your branded products right to the customer’s door. Read this blog to learn the benefits of drop shipping and what it means for your business.
Blog Small Business
Make sure these safeguards are in place for a safe and efficient working environment.