Turn your Facebook URL into a free vanity name — in one minute
If you’ve established a Facebook page for your business and have never gone back to turn the URL into something more memorable, now would be a good time.
Once any page reaches 25 “Likes,” Facebook allows the administrator to remove the clutter of numbers at the end to condense your web address into something memorable — i.e., a vanity URL or username. That will make it a more useful promotional tool for your business, since research shows people are better able to remember meaningful words than number sequences.
Say you own a jewelry business that crafts necklaces out of stones. Your initial Facebook URL may have been something like “http://www.facebook.com/pages/Stone-Necklaces857469375913?ref=ts.” But when you get back into the system to “claim” your vanity URL, you can turn it into something simpler like “http://www.facebook.com/pages/Stone-Necklaces,” which makes your business easier to remember, and thus easier to find.
The best news? Making the change is free, requires no technical knowledge and takes less than a minute of your time.
A few tips from Facebook for making the change:
- Choose a vanity URL that aligns with your business name, business function or keywords users will likely search for to find your business.
- If you own the rights to a name, use it in your vanity URL to prevent others from doing so.
- Note that usernames can only contain letters, numbers and periods, not other characters.
- Pick a name that will work in the long term, since usernames can’t be changed and ownership is not transferable.
- Facebook does impose some username limits; for example, it prohibits names that include hate speech, those that are threatening or pornographic, those that incite violence, or those that impose on others’ trademarks and other property rights. See its Statement of Rights and Responsibilities for more information.
Ready to make the change? Just follow these five simple steps:
- Go to facebook.com/username and click on “Select a username.” Then, select your page and type in your chosen username.
- Click on “Check availability” and read Facebook’s terms.
- Confirm your username is accepted by Facebook and click “OK.”
- Go to your Facebook page and admire your new vanity URL.
- Promote your new, more memorable vanity URL to others as much as you wish.
Got a minute? It’s that easy to turn your web address into a promotional tool.
Get started on Facebook Advertising
Ready to jump into the social ad space? We created an in-depth guide to help you get started!
Editor’s Note: This blog post was originally published in February 2015 and has been revamped and updated for accuracy and relevance.