Did you know that 76 percent of people who conduct a search on their mobile device will visit a nearby business within a day? You can connect with those consumers when they’re looking for products or services like yours by investing time into search engine optimization (SEO). SEO is the process of improving your website’s visibility on search engines like Google in order to drive more traffic to your site, and hopefully, to your business.
While it may seem that only larger companies show up at the top of search rankings, businesses of all sizes can implement SEO strategies that help them reach more potential customers. Start optimizing your website today with the following free SEO tools.
Data and insights
Tracking your website’s performance can tell you if your SEO efforts have been effective and highlight areas that need improvement. Two of the best free SEO tools to measure your success are Google Analytics and Google Search Console.
1. Google Analytics: Check your website’s overall performance with Google Analytics. Along with basic information like the number of page visits you receive, you’ll learn which buttons get the most clicks, where your visitors are located, which devices they’re using to access your website and so much more.
2. Google Search Console: See how your website is performing in Google search results and learn how people are finding your website with Google Search Console. This free tool will also alert you to any errors on your website and which pages are driving the most traffic. When used in tandem with Google Analytics, you’ll get a detailed view of your website’s performance and have the information you need to decide which technical changes to make to optimize your site.
In SEO, keywords are the words and phrases that users type into search engines when making a query. For example, homeowners seeking a plumber may search the phrase “emergency leak repair,” or “unclog drain.” Incorporating the right keywords into your website content can improve your search rankings. To determine which keywords you should use, you will need to research how people are looking for the products or services that you offer. These tools will help you conduct that research and develop a keyword list.
3. Moz Keyword Explorer: Get help determining which keywords you should use. Moz Keyword Explorer will tell you which keywords you’re currently ranking for and how difficult it will be for your website to rank for more competitive or popular search terms.
4. WooRank: WooRank is an easy-to-use SEO analytics tool. It quickly presents the keywords that get the highest search volume, tracks search terms by location or language and helps you find keywords based on content that’s already on your website.
Consumers use local search to find businesses near them. Use these tools to improve your local presence.
5. Google My Business: Google My Business (GMB) empowers you to manage the information that shows up about your business in Google Search and Maps. Having a GMB listing can increase your chances of showing up in organic search results. After claiming your listing, you can optimize it by adding your business’s address, phone number and hours of operation.
6. Deluxe Business Listing Scan: Find out how your business appears in more than 40 different online directories, including Yelp, Yahoo and Facebook. The Deluxe Business Listing Scan will tell you which directories you’re listed in and which information needs to be added or updated.
Plug-ins and extensions
You can install the following extensions in your Google Chrome browser to gather SEO information.
7. SEO META in 1 Click: Metadata is the SEO information search engines are consuming about your page and displaying in search results. SEO META in 1 Click is an extension that allows you to quickly view page metadata. You’ll be able to see if there are any missing elements that could be affecting your search rankings.
8. Check My Links: Broken links are bad for SEO. Make sure all links on your site are working properly with this tool.
You can’t develop a solid search strategy without the right SEO tools, and these are some of the best free SEO tools out there. Using them will allow you to do the research and analysis that help your business stay competitive in search rankings and get found online.