Kent Henderson owns Schlemmer Brothers: a metalworks and retail hearth business located in Wabash, Indiana. While the business has been part of the community for more than a century, revenue tends to dip in warmer months throughout the year. With the help of Small Business Revolution, Schlemmer Brothers received a digital marketing upgrade to help them reach new customers and boost sales.
Reaching customers online
After examining their marketing approach and exploring how consumers in the Wabash area choose home heating options, the team at Deluxe identified three opportunities for Schlemmer Brothers to improve their sales:
- Create a mobile-friendly, easy-to-navigate website that showcases the owners’ unique expertise and offerings
- Optimize each page of the website to get noticed by search engines
- Modify their Google AdWords investment to capture consumers seeking heating solutions
Deluxe conducted an initial call with Kent and Kris to learn more about their business, and four guiding principles emerged:
- Schlemmer Brothers are experts in heating
- They know the area better than big-box competitors
- They deliver quality work at a good value
- Their staff is helpful and friendly
The Deluxe team developed a website and accompanying digital strategy to align with these strengths. First, they applied six SEO (search engine optimization) best practices, including adding key information like business name, address and phone number on every page, to rank higher in google and get found locally.
Next, they enhanced Schlemmer Brothers’ advertising campaign on Google. The new plan targeted messages to the right types of buyers.
Google AdWords improvements included:
- Lowered bidding on mobile ads: The new mobile-friendly website opened new opportunities to reach customers.
- Removal of unqualified searches: The business is now less likely to spend advertising dollars on consumers searching for seemingly relevant terms that are unlikely to lead to a sale. For example, searches for “chimney sweeper” return a Schlemmer Brothers’ ad, but searches for “chimney sweeper salary” do not.
- Optimizing the ads: Deluxe made several improvements to the ads themselves. One Google ad highlighted Schlemmer Brothers’ A+ rating with the local Better Business Bureau. This message results in a larger ad, offers a third-party trust factor and primes the visitor who clicks it to understand this is a trusted business.
- Tailoring the ads to the searcher’s intent: Deluxe also focused the ads more specifically on the search query. Searchers looking for “chimney sweeper” see an ad that speaks to the chimney sweeping services. This includes copy about Schlemmer Brothers’ certification with the Chimney Safety Institute of America.
At the core of Schlemmer Brothers is a culture that rewards its employees for taking care of every customer that walks through its door. Now, with an updated professional website and an online ad campaign that meets the expectations of online visitors, the company is in better shape to endure another 100 years.
The new website is mobile responsive: which means it’s gorgeous and easy to use on a desktop computer and on small screens.
The site communicates the team’s industry knowledge.
The new website showcases quality products.
And finally, the new website makes it easy to contact both retail locations.