Jose Tilapa is truly living the American Dream. Originally from Mexico, Jose met and fell in love with his wife and moved to the US, settling in Bristol Borough, Pennsylvania, where he has worked a number of different jobs. But his background as a boxer and Mixed Martial Arts (MMA) expert kept calling him toward a life as a gym owner. Tilapa now owns Keystone Boxing and MMA Gym in Bristol, where he not only coaches boxing, but provides classes for young children to learn gymnastics and wrestling. His story is compelling and real as he finds a way to make his dream into a reality.
Season 2Meet the Characters
Featured Small Business
Owner, Keystone Boxing & MMA Gym
- What does living and working in Bristol Borough mean to you?
A better future for myself and my family.
- How did you feel when Bristol Borough won Small Business Revolution?
I felt excited and very hopeful for the people and small businesses in town.
- What was one big struggle you were facing before Amanda and Robert came to Bristol Borough?
My lack of business planning.
- What was your favorite part of the Small Business Revolution experience?
Getting to know the other business owners better and creating a stronger relationship with all of them.
- What was the hardest part of the Small Business Revolution experience for you?
Going through this entire process while still trying to manage and run a new business.
- What have you learned about yourself in this process? What have you learned about your business?
I’ve learned that I’m willing to do and go anywhere to see my business succeed. And, that the passion I have for my business is not enough, I need to apply myself into the business as well.
- What is the one thing you hope viewers take away from this season in Bristol Borough?
That strength, passion and perseverance can come from anywhere in the world, it doesn’t matter whether it’s a small town or big city. In Bristol, we are proof. Stay strong and believe in yourself.
- One word you would use to describe your experience?
- Would you do this again?
- What services provided by Deluxe did you find to be the most helpful to you and your business?
- What was one piece of advice Robert or Amanda gave that will stick with you well beyond SBR?
Manage your business so that your business allows you to enjoy your family and life.
- What would you say to other small businesses or people in small towns thinking of nominating their town?
Go for it. Create your own opportunity and endeavor. And most importantly, don’t quit half way, go all in!